[CentOS] pcre vs. regexp for Postfix checks

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Mon Dec 3 22:21:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007, Miark wrote:
>What are your opinions on pcre vs regexp for header_, body_, and
>mime_checks in Postfix?
>
>I looked at the regexp_table and prce_table man pages, and see
>almost no difference other than the available flags.

The main difference is that pcre uses the same regular expression
syntax as perl and python.  I consider this an advantage as I've
been using this syntax for the better part of 20 years, and don't
have to remember how other systems handle REs (which is a major
part of my reason for starting to use perl in the late '80s).

Bill

Good luck to all you optimists out there who think Microsoft can deliver
35 million lines of quality code on which you can operate your business.
   -- John C. Dvorak