[CentOS] Scary memory requirements for 5.1 graphic install

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Dec 4 00:31:26 UTC 2007

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> It is listed as a known issue, but I have a lot of 256Mb systems where I
> have used the graphic installer....
>
> OUCH!
>
> And when this is fixed (I really hope), it will mean some new ISOs to
> download?

It is not broken ... you really need 512mb RAM to use the installer in
GUI mode reliably. And it purposely will not even start with < 256 MB.

This is primarily due the fact that the DEPS are solved a different way
that requires more memory now.

Text installs are not that bad ...

That is just the way it is, but it is only getting worse in the future,
not better (memory reqts that is).