[CentOS] backup / compressed copy

Andreas Kuntzagk

andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de
Tue Dec 4 08:43:48 UTC 2007

Hi,

I think about buying a NAS-server from Sun. To backup this server I want
to use our central to-tape backup. For whatever reason ppl are asking me
to make one compressed copy to disk and only backup this copy.

So to reduce load I'd like to have a script that:

identifies changed files only (using md5?)
copies them
and compresses them

storeBackup.pl does something similar, but keeps versions and creates
hardlinks between them. (Is storeBackup in any CentOS repo? I know it
from my SuSE box)
Any ideas? Do I have to change storeBackup to my needs? (Would really
hate that, because I'm not a Perl man)

regards, Andreas