[CentOS] CentOS 4.5 (RHEL 4.5) - x86_64 - Login issue

Tom Brown

tom at ng23.net
Tue Dec 4 10:08:15 UTC 2007

Hi

Strange problem here i think but - I can ssh in to the box fine as root
and other users eg oracle

BUT i am trying to login to the console to install oracle using X but i
cant and i see this in the logs

hostname su(pam_unix)[20237]: session closed for user oracle

and also

hostname login[19841]: Module is unknown

so the pwd is not accepted and the connection on the console terminated
straight away.

I have added this to my pam.d login file

session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so

So i presume this is what is causing the issue but does anyone know
which module may be missing?

# rpm -qa | grep pam
pam_ccreds-3-3.rhel4.2
pam-0.77-66.21