[CentOS] Filesystem for Maildir

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Tue Dec 4 12:18:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Christopher Chan wrote:

>>  ext3 again takes the slowest performing title overall as expected...in
>>  fact it appears not much as changed fs vs fs wise since Bruce Guenter's
>>  tests. But I am surprised at the overall performance regressions in
>>  comparison to 2.6.5/6 kernels with regards to deliveries vs amount of
>>  writers. Heitor, you are using a 3ware 95xx or 96xx with BBU write cache
>>  and write caching on right? How much RAM do you have for your cache? How
>>  is your raid10 configured? I cannot believe a four disk raid0 array can
>>  beat a software raid mirror of scsi disks as used by Bruce Guenter.
>
> that last sentence should have been 'cannot beat'

I can believe it. Linux SW RAID is _VERY_ fast. The advantage of 3ware HW
RAID is in its convienence and robustness when Bad Things (tm) happen, not
its performance, in my experience.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
  for a prediction and keeping track of one’s past record of accuracy."
                     -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness