[CentOS] backup / compressed copy

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:22:09 UTC 2007

Andreas Kuntzagk wrote:
>> Backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) will backup a number of
>> hosts, compressing all files and hardlinking all duplicates (whether
>> from different hosts or different backup runs) to reduce the storage
>> needed and permit keeping a longer history on line.  It also provides a
>> nice web interface for browsing, restoring, and archiving to tape. The
>> tape archive part is manual and kind of an afterthought but the rest is
>> completely automatic and some users have devised ways to use external
>> disks for the archive or do partition level copies to an external disk
>> for offsite storage.
>
> Backuppc looks like to much for my problem. But somebody proposed just
> using dump for this. To my shame I must confess I never used dump so
> I'll be doing some man page reading now.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'too much'.  Backuppc is not
difficult to set up and is fully automatic except for the tape part
after you get it working.  And as far as I know, it is the only thing
that can do an rsync update of an uncompressed target directly against
its own highly compressed storage archive.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com