[CentOS] CentOS Repo Questions (and Samba)

Bit

bit2300 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:27:17 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have two questions which are really CentOS repository related, but
they primarily revolve around the Samba packages available.

1)  Why is the s390 architecture version of Samba for CentOS 4 so much
more up to date than the i386 architecture version?  If you open these
two links in a browser window...
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/updates/s390/RPMS/
and compare the available rpms, the s390 version of samba is 3.0.25b,
while the i386 version of samba is only 3.0.10.

2)  On a related note, why does it appear that a recent security update
was not applied to the CentOS 4 i386 architecture version of samba?

If you look at the top two patches listed on the Samba homepage here:
http://us3.samba.org/samba/history/security.html
You will see that they should apply to all versions of samba from 3.0.0
to 3.0.26a.
So that would include the i386 CentOS 4 version of samba because it's
3.0.10.

I am on the CentOS Announcements mailing list, and I still have not seen
an announcement that this has been fixed in the i386 CentOS 4 version of
samba.  I have seen announcements for CentOS 3 i386, CentOS 3 x86_64,
and even CentOS 4 s390.  But not for CentOS 4 i386.  What gives?

Thanks,
- Bit