[CentOS] mp3 plugin for Rythmbox or Totem?

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Tue Dec 4 20:30:20 UTC 2007

Andrew Allen wrote:
> Can anybody please suggest a suitable plugin to enable playing of mp3
> files with either Totem or Rythmbox. Both of these come as part of the
> CentOS 5 package, but strangely neither has the necessary plugin for
> mp3, which surely is a common enough format in the music world?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

This is covered in the CentOS general FAQ
(http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General?highlight=%28mp3%29#q19).

The MP3 codec is not included in CentOS becausing of licensing issues.
Both Totem and Rhythmbox use the gstreamer libraries for handling
different audio types, so you will need to get the appropriate
gstreamer-plugins package from your favorite third-party repository.  I
think the mp3 codec (libgstlame.so) is in the gstreamer-plugins-ugly
package, available at RPMforge.
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com