[CentOS] Anyone using sendmail?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 5 03:57:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 21:40 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:30:40 +0700
> Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id> wrote:
>
> > The user is in some database such as MySQL and the directory is maybe
> > in /home/mail/domain/virtualuserA
>
> Ok, I can see how that would work, but it raises the question of why?  Is
> there some advantage to having the mail in a database instead of simple text
> files in /var/spool/mail?
----
Once you've used cyrus, you'd never go back to uw-imap or dovecot

Each e-mail is stored as a separate file, not a nasty single mbox file
that gets large.

Mail isn't stored in a database, it's simply stored in a highly
organized directory structure.

Other phenomenal benefits:
- auto features such as auto subscribe, auto create (folders), auto
sieve
- automatic quotas
- user based sieve (server based rules for delivery) - it's actually
possible
  for users to maintain their own filters including vacation filters
  (horde/ingo and probably other software)
- shared mail folders (actual ACL's for folders horde/imp manages
nicely)
- public mailboxes
- scheduled features such as indexing/purging, easily configurable
(nice)
- fast (very fast)
- support for user accounts in /etc/passwd or ldap or sql

Craig