[CentOS] Anyone using sendmail?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Dec 5 05:37:49 UTC 2007

Christopher Chan wrote:

> How is cyrus today?

I've been using Cyrus for about 6 years now, the biggest pain
was upgrading from 1.x to 2.1, which was fairly complicated,
had to test it a half dozen times in vmware before migrating
the real deal.

Never really had a problem with cyrus that I can recall. I've
always stored passwords in LDAP(authenticate via PAM). I've
never been fond of the sasl stuff cyrus likes to use, but once
it's all disabled and put in plain text mode it's fine.

Very fast, I like the acls, on my home mail server I have about
150 accounts, all of which I can subscribe to from my main account,
some very basic sieve scripts for filtering spamassasin mails
to a central spam folder. I use squirrelmail for my email
client, which gives me a convenient little drop down box which
I can choose my "from:" address.

My latest mail systems are running courier(Maildir) because
they have a NFS back-end and Cyrus doesn't play well with
NFS last I checked. Certainly on the surface at least courier
doesn't seem as powerful as Cyrus, but for basic stuff it
seems to work fine. I haven't gone in depth in either Cyrus
2.x (short of basic sieve, everything else is the same stuff
I was using in Cyrus 1.x), or Courier, my needs are pretty
basic.

Mostly have stuck with Cyrus on my own stuff since I've been
using it for so long, and haven't had a reason to migrate.
The full text index stuff in cyrus sounds cool but it seems
you have to do a full re-index(which takes a long time on
my system) in order for it to be effective, perhaps there
is a way to dynamically update as messages are moved around.
I haven't used quotas in cyrus in 5 years, but worked fine
at the time.

My personal email server(about 4 users including myself, 99%
of usage is me) stores about 300k emails, so nothing
spectacular.

I don't recall ever having data corruption with Cyrus. On
paper at least Cyrus looks like a pretty bad ass system,
though I don't know if I'll ever want to be supporting
an email infrastructure for a large enough site to really
take advantage of it(with all of the horizontal scaling
it seems to be able to do in the newer versions).

My personal servers run debian, I haven't tried cyrus on
CentOS.

nate