[CentOS] screen + mutt terminal issues.

Steven Haigh

netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Dec 5 06:49:21 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix a display issue when using mutt inside a screen session.

This issue came to my attention when the following posts hit my mailbox:

10723     Mário Gamito                   [CentOS] Another question                                                               Wed, Dec 05, 2007  (  2.4K
10724     nate                           Re: [CentOS] Anyone using sendmail?                                                     Tue, Dec 04, 2007  (  4.6K)

The accent in Mario's name (post 10723 in my mailbox) seems to cause havok with the
terminal emulation in mutt. I've experimented with the different terminal emulations
(xterm, ansi, screen, linux, xterm-color etc) and found that:
	ansi = garbled screen.
	xterm = displays layout correctly, however highlight bars (in the index screen
                within mutt) only drawns a background colour when text is also drawn.
	xterm-color = displayis an issue is shown when using the up/down arrows over
                      his posts. This corrupts the layout of the screen. usually a blank
                      line is displayed below Mario's name.
	screen = same as xterm-color
	linux = same as xterm-color

Does anyone know how I might be able to correct this? Is this an issue with screen or the
termcap or maybe even mutt?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897

"Do not meddle in the affairs of UNIX, for it is subtle and quick to dump core." -- Anon.