[CentOS] yum update repo problems

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Dec 5 11:40:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:42:27AM +0200, Vahur Jõesalu wrote:
> Hi
>
> I noticed today that all my Centos servers are giving same error on "yum
> update". Error is:
> ----------------------------------
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> rpmforge                  100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=5&arch=i386&repo=os error was
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
> ----------------------------------
>
> Servers are scattered around in different networks. Yum update has been
> workin OK on all of them. Centos 4.5 servers are giving similar error, but
> with less detail.
> Servers are relaying heavily on DNS for everyday work, so that should rule
> out DNS issues (all are running caching-nameservers).
>
> Is there any problem with repos? Anybody else having same erors?

It looks like the domain name expired with Tucows and the domain was put
on hold. Looks like someone paid the bill, as it all seems to be back up and
running now.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897

The opinions represented herein are the sole responsibility of the proclaimer,
and should not be interpreted as dogma, doctrine philosophy, or anything else
other than blabber. However, if you REALLY like it, then gimme a dollar!