[CentOS] xfce in CentOS 5.1 "extras" repository

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Dec 5 12:02:53 UTC 2007

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Hi, I am using CentOS 5.1 x86 (upgraded from 5.0), and am still using
> XFCE 4.4.1 from 5.0 "extras" repository. Just saw in XFCE site that they
> released 4.4.2. Any chance to see it in 5.1 "extras" repository?

Maybe, but probably not.

Just like the Gnome and KDE that come with CentOS is not likely to
change versions throughout the lifetime of CentOS ... major items in
extras the XFCE are also likely not to change.

The purpose of Enterprise software is stability and stable APIs / ABIs.

I'm sure that Fedora 8 or 9 will have then new versions of XFCE, but
CentOS will not normally upgrade items as large as XFCE without a
compelling reason.

CentOS-5 will probably never get KDE-4 or openoffice-2.3 or any number
of other major upgrades that will become available in its lifetime.
latest and greatest is just not the model that CentOS is based on.

That said ... it is POSSIBLE that XFCE could be upgraded, just not likely.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes