[CentOS] yum update for 5.0 ==> 5.1

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Dec 5 16:43:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 01:07:19PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> ># rpm -q centos-release
> >centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1
>
> check your syslog, it will indicate what was installed and when.
>
> >Probably I was further confused by /etc/redhat-release:
> >
> ># cat /etc/redhat-release
> >CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
> Which is what the system is. For anyone who stays on the update path, it
> will stay at 5 since that is the distro you are running. If you are new
> to the whole idea of the EL process, it might be a good idea to read up
> on what and how update cycles work and how the z-series is going to kick
> in for centos-5

So there's been a change since Centos 4, then. (I'm fine with that, I
just didn't know it...). From my Centos4 box at work:

	$ cat /etc/redhat-release
	CentOS release 4.5 (Final)

Said machine was instaleld at Centos4 and kept updated with YUM.

Thanks for all the info!

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.