[CentOS] backups and md5 all in one while splitting

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Dec 5 22:39:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 16:35 -0500, Ruslan Sivak wrote:
> Ruslan Sivak wrote:

> Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but even though this works fine from
> the command line, it doesn't seem to work from my perl script.  I get
> sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> sh: -c: line 1: `svnadmin dump --deltas /svn/russ
> 2>>/backup/russ/2007/12/full.4.log | bzip2 | tee >(split -b 1888m -
                                                   AA
Is this a valid construct in bash now? I'm unsure--++
I've not RTFM recently, but doesn't this say to redirect standard output
to a sub-shell? AFAIK, that's not valid? IIRC, the operand of the ?>?
needs to be a "file" (which in the old-time *IX semantics includes
devices, FIFOs, etc.).

And "tee" wants a filename to write to, no?

If you're not "tee"ing to a file, can't you drop tee and just pipe to
the sub-shell?

> /backup/russ/2007/12/full.4.bz2.) | md5sum >
> /backup/russ/2007/12/full.4.md5'
>

> Looks like it's running sh instead of bash?  Is there a way to change
> the shell that executes the command?  I'm using backticks to execute the
> command in perl.

I only dabbled in Perl briefly long ago. I would dare comment about
that. I know the effects of the back-ticks in shells though. Same in
Perl?

> Russ
> <snip sig stuff>

I hope my questions sparked a clue and wasn't just a band-width waste.

--
Bill