[CentOS] Re: SCSI bad block table display

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Dec 6 00:32:05 UTC 2007

on 12/5/2007 4:21 PM Hugh E Cruickshank spake the following:
> From: Ross S. W. Walker Sent: December 5, 2007 15:49
>> Google 'sdparam'
>>

> Thanks. While that seems to be on the right track it does not appear
> to dump/display the bad block table.
>
> hec
I think most drives hide that info, although the manufacturers probably have
diagnostics that can get to it.
I think you are looking for something similar to what you you did with the old
MFM drives when you entered the bad block table in at format time. Smart
utilities usually can only tell you how many spares are used and how many are
left, or just if there are more bad sectors than the drive had spares for.
Once that happens, it is time to go drive shopping, and do a full backup
(backup first I would say).
The modern controllers shouldn't have bad blocks mapped to usable sectors
unless the drive is heading to the great e-waste box in the sky.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and