[CentOS] screen + mutt terminal issues. [SOLVED]

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Dec 6 02:38:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 10:06:25AM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Replying to myself with the fix... Setting PuTTY to use UTF-8 fixes the issue. This is
>> done in the Window -> Translation section. The default is "ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)"
>>
>> Changing this to UTF-8 fixes all these display corruption issues.
>>

> :-O
>
> Surely you mean changing Centos to use C or en_US only!
>
> :-D

Nah. By default (at least on my installs!), CentOS will be set with
	declare -x LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

This means that most other applications will probably work ok with UTF-8.

PuTTY however doesn't default to UTF-8, which causes weird display corruption
when using screen. On a side note, the Mac OSX terminal isn't affected. It
handles UTF-8 by default.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897

"They have the internet on computers now." - Homer Simpson