[CentOS] Need a sendmail help mail list

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 6 03:44:58 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 21:44 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I have a sendmail question.
>>
>> Can someone point me to a list appropriate to get some sendmail.mc help?
>>
> ----
> try here first

My fax server (fax.foo.com) is suppose to receive mail to:
user at ext.fax.foo.com and execute:

/usr/bin/faxmail -d user at ext

I found the following items to add to sendmail.mc:

   define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
   define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
   MAILER(`fax')dnl

I have set up DNS with a pseudo domain:

sip.foo.com.	IN	A	192.168.1.100
fax.foo.com.	IN	A	192.168.1.100
*.fax.foo.com.   IN   MX   10   fax.foo.com

nslookup shows this to work, and in fact my POP mail server does try to
send mail addessed:

to: joe at 222.fax.foo.com

To fax.foo.com, that gets sent back to me with the error information:

<joe at 222.fax.foo.com>

554 5.0.0 MX list for 222.fax.foo.com. points back to sip.foo.com
554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

sendmail is NOT suppose to try to relay; it is suppose to accept this
for local delivery, and not do a DNS lookup on 222.fax.foo.com....

So obviously I need more sendmail help.  Then I will have to set it up
via webmin....

It is interesting that when you ask this question directly on the
Hylafax mail list, either no one answers, or point you to URLs that give
partial answers.

I know that DNS can act strange with 2 A records to the same address.  That is what CNAME is suppose to be for.  Now that I see that I am not expecting email to sip.foo.com, I could make that the cname.  Of course the host name is sip.foo.com with fax a service on it....