[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:25:59 UTC 2007

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> It's unfortunate, but doesn't seem like it's going to change.  I guess
> that doesn't mean we need to stop talking about it, but maybe instead
> of hollering about the need for repotags it's time to collaborate in
> the other direction -- building a better way to track reopsitories into
> the RPM database itself.

Yes, but it really needs to be tracked at the installed file level so
that rpm and yum could refuse by default to overwrite any existing
filename with a version from a different source unless it explicitly
obsoletes the one to be replaced.  That way the conflicts couldn't be
accidental and if you want to replace someone else's file you'd have to
say so.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com