[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 19:22:01 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 12:11 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> >> I don't see why
> >> a particular package couldn't be served from more than one repository.
> >> Is there some rule about that?
> >
> > Nope.  As a matter of fact, this sort of thing is likely when mixing repos,
> > and is why a commitment to collaboration is essential.
>
> The point is that as an end user, I want a sensible way to deal with
> multiple repositories that _don't_ collaborate.  After all, if everyone
> agreed on policies we wouldn't need any third party repositories at all.

Ok the problem field is that you have N different repositories, using
M different guidelines, using O different compile flags, and P
different filesystem layouts. The best you could possibly do is not
have packages at all but keep each package in a dmg file and let the
ld fight it out over who gets executed today... but that would seem to
be a different OS.