[CentOS] Re: SCSI bad block table display

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Thu Dec 6 19:51:57 UTC 2007

From: Brent L. Bates Sent: December 6, 2007 05:20

> Hugh Cruickshank, you are not mistaken.  SCSI drives do keep
> bad block information on the drive.

I sorry was not very clear. I do know the SCSI drives have their own
bad block table but it appears from the description of the SCO OSR5
badtrk utility that OSR5 may also maintain an OS level bad block
mapping capability as well. I still would like to see the SCSI bad
block table but I cannot expect Linux to support what might be an
SCO OSR5 specific feature.

>  I've also been using this for YEARS on
> SGI's under
> IRIX.

Ahhh IRIX, I remember it well but it has been many years since I worked
on SGI hardware. Well made and well supported. I hear they may be
making a come-back. That will be interesting to see.

>  Under IRIX, the command `fx' is used to partition SCSI
> drives, exercise
> them, format them (which is something one never does to SCSI
> drives), spare
> out bad blocks, list the bad block table, etc., etc..

I never had the opportunity to work at that level. That was handled
mostly by the SGI techs. This does bode well that I may be able to
get at this data in Linux if I can just find the right utility.

Thanks, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com