[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 21:57:11 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 2:24 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:

> So to answer the subject: No, EPEL is incompatible to every other repo
> that existed before EPEL came up. That was not the original promise of
> EPEL (I know as I was a steering member before I gave up on this
> insanity course), but it developed that way.
> </rant>

Actually it would have been the case at some point as soon as it was
looked at that they would use Fedora packaging standards versus some
other set of standards.. The guidelines that you, DAG, etc conflict in
various places and conflicted before EPEL was a gleam in its parents
eye. It is also because you serve different audiences. I know that if
I want bleeding edge packages that will pull in all sorts of new
Perl/Pythons etc.. I have used ATrpms because you do what is needed to
get XYZ-9 working. DAG might on the other hand may decide that XYZ-9
is not going to be supported in the same way because on RHEL-3
bringing in Python-3.00beta is just too much of a headache especially
if its going to break everything else.

Mixing the two repositories in that case will cause unintended
problems.. which at that point the repotags would be helpful in saying
'well don't mix them in this case' but wont have stopped the problem
from occurring in the first place.

However at some point people quit thinking logically and instead
started just throwing virtual dung at each other like we hadn't
evolved much in the last million years. And after that everyone spent
time trying to point out that the other side started throwing the dung
first and if you didn't agree with that you had to be on the other
side and oh here is some dung. Of course saying 'well let bygones be
bygones' isn't going to happen until the other side publicly castrates
itself as a sign of good faith.

I would say that the only thing that needs to top this off is some
rumours that the other side is going to use bitkeeper for its source
control, or ESR saying they thought that ZYZ was now his preferred
repo and RMS saying that the other was the only true repository.