[CentOS] VNCsever not starting at boot

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 6 22:11:30 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 16:34 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> When I run system-config-services, it shows vncserver set to start at boot.
>>
>> in /etc/inittab I have init 3
>>
>> vncserver does not start at boot.
>>
>> I log in on the console as root and
>>
>> service vncserver start
>>
>> and it starts with some warning messages about bad display name in "add"
>> command, but I do not see where these are logged to copy them into this
>> message.
>>
>> Once I start it from the console, I have trouble using the vnc client to
>> access the server.
>>
>> I really need for the vncserver to start at boot, as I want it to run in
>> a place with no monitor or keyboard....
>>
> ----
> I don't recall there being an issue vs runlevel 3 or 5
>
> First off, nx is a much better way to go

yeah, but that will take a bit of work.  At least when I look at it back
in the summer, it was not just a drop in as vnc has ALMOST been.
> Anyway...what's contents of /etc/sysconfig/vncserver ? Is it configured?

Only thing I have configured is the vncservers= line

and for ~/.vnc I have run vncpasswd to set the password and edited the
xstartup file to run gnome instead of X:

For Gnome, replace "twm &" with "exec gnome-session &"

also uncommented the two lines in xstartup for 'normal desktop'.  Didn't
notice any difference though,