[CentOS] VNCsever not starting at boot

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Dec 6 23:13:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 18:10 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> yeah, but that will take a bit of work.  At least when I look at it back
> >> in the summer, it was not just a drop in as vnc has ALMOST been.

> >> Only thing I have configured is the vncservers= line
> >>
> >> and for ~/.vnc I have run vncpasswd to set the password and edited the
> >> xstartup file to run gnome instead of X:
> >>
> >> For Gnome, replace "twm &" with "exec gnome-session &"
> >>
> >> also uncommented the two lines in xstartup for 'normal desktop'.  Didn't
> >> notice any difference though,
> >>
> > ----
> > service vncserver restart should be all that you need then
> And how do I do that without logging into the console?  My goal is I
> boot the system up, and then over the network I remote into the server.
> I suppose I could 'cheat' and have webmin running....
----
you issue 'service vncserver restart' command from any command line
(i.e. ssh)

VNC does not have any encryption built in so remember, if you are using
over any network, your login/passwords/traffic are not encrypted.

FreeNX handles all that for you PLUS it gives you really nice data
compression (better performance over limited bandwidth).

Craig