[CentOS] RHEL 5 vs. CentOS 5

Lopez, Denise

dlopez at humnet.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 6 23:25:32 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I would like to first preface this e-mail by saying if this topic has
been covered already, could someone point me to the month of the
discussion and I will gladly read it.

We have been using RHEL 3 / 4 in our environment and I am very happy and
satisfied with the stability of the OS.  Now with the new technologies
incorporated into RHEL5, specifically Virtualization, Clustering, and
Storage, and the costs associated with them, I was wondering how similar
CentOS and RHEL 5 were.

It is my understanding that CentOS is RHEL 5 with the RedHat icons
removed but the functionality of the packages is the same.  In addition,
updates may come a day or two later than RHEL 5.

My boss is a little concerned about the differences since we host
production servers that require minimal downtime.

Any thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

Thank you for your input.

Denise Lopez

UCLA - Center for Digital Humanities

Network Services