[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Dec 6 23:47:50 UTC 2007

on 12/6/2007 3:22 PM Milton Calnek spake the following:
> ok...
>
> How about wxGTK.
> rpmforge is distributing 2.6.3 while epel is distributing 2.8.?
> rpmforge's vlc uses wxGTK or there are interlinked dependencies...
>
> So when I "yum -y update", the update fails.  Currently there are no
> pending updates so this is not a big deal... until there are pending
> updates.
>
> As an end user, I just want to be able to update my system.
>
> If to accomplish that, I have to disable epel and only use it when I'm
> looking for something, then that's what I'll have to do.

I do that now with the ATRPms repo. It can conflict with rpmforge a lot, but
the two were not meant to be used together. One works for more backward
compatibility, while the other works for addons that might change the function
of the system. CentOS's own "plus" repo does the same. It isn't good or bad in
itself, you just need to make choices on what you want to accomplish.

"When you are up to your elbows in alligators, it is hard to remember that
your original objective was to drain the swamp!"

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and