[CentOS] Minimal install for CentOS 5?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Dec 7 00:48:52 UTC 2007

Aaron Seelye wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the linux world (long time FreeBSD user), and I'm wondering
> if there's an easy way to install CentOS 5 without the GUI and
> unnecessary services?  I see there's a server cd for CentOS 4, but I
> didnt see anything like that for CentOS 5.  Am I looking in the wrong
> places, or is it just necessary to manually select the minimal set of
> packages?

Firstly, I want to clear up this misconception that people have that the
ServerCD is a minimal install. Well, its not. Its a typical Server install,
which is - trust me - very far from being a minimal install.

Secondly, the best way to do a minimal install is to just get the netinstall iso
from the 5.1/isos/ directory, run a normal graphical install, and deselect all
options from the 'Tasks to install' screen, select customise now option, then
deselect everything from the next screen as well. It should give you a minimal
install, with just enough packages to have a booting system, network and a
functional sshd server. Once installed, you can then carry on adding packages
with yum.

Finally, I believe this is FAQ number 1, check wiki.centos.org's FAQ section for
CentOS-5