[CentOS] are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Dec 7 11:29:43 UTC 2007

Florin Andrei wrote:
> Following Fabian's blog post re: RPMForge being rebuilt for EL5, I've a
> question:
>
> Are there any compatibility problems between RPMForge and EPEL? In other
> words, if I enabled EPEL previously, will I be able to enable RPMForge
> as well without running into trouble?

The real, no bullcrap, and bottom line answer to this question is:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATRPMS, RPMForge, and EPEL contain many conficts if all are used together.

You can mitigate this by using the priorities plugin in yum ... but
eventually you will also have to use "exclude=" and maybe even
"includepkgs=" options.  See "man yum.conf" for details.

No amount of posting or ranting / complaining on the CentOS mailing list
will solve this problem.

ATRPMS, RPMForge, and EPEL each have mailing lists and each have
packaging guidelines and community leaders, etc.  Those mailing lists
are the place where these issues MIGHT be solved ... not here.

The CentOS Project has no input into what ANY of these repos do, so
complaining, whining, bitching, moaning, ranting, screaming, gnashing of
teeth, or any other thing ... when done on this list ... will have no
impact on the situation.  SO, please take it to the appropriate place.

As to what my personal option is about this situation .. please see this
thread (on the appropriate mailing list):

http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-April/msg00129.html

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes