[CentOS] Where are my VIM colors?

Charles E Campbell Jr charles.e.campbell at nasa.gov
Fri Dec 7 16:30:41 UTC 2007

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:

>Maybe, it's stupid question but I've just installed CentOS5 and when I'm
>going to edit some of my conf files I see no colors as it did in old
>CentOS4x...
>I'm using:
>
>[root at domian:~]$ echo $TERM
>xterm

Check if your vi/vim has syntax highlighting enabled:

   vi --version | fgrep  syntax

   If  -syntax is on the line, you don't have syntax highlighting
compiled in.
   - Did you install vim-enhanced, and does the command "vi" use it?
   - Try "vim" instead.
   - If you didn't install vim-enhanced,  I suggest getting the vim
source, preferably applying the patches, and compiling it yourself:
     1.  ftp anonymous at ftp.home.vim.org  (use your userid at hostname for
the password)
     2. cd pub/vim/unix
     3. binary
     4. get vim-7.1.tar.bz2
     5.  quit
     6. (pick a suitable directory to have vim71 under), and bunzip2
vim-7.1.tar.bz2
     7. tar -xf vim-7.1.tar
     8. cd vim71
     9.  configure --with-features=huge
    10. make
    11. go to superuser mode
    12. cd src
    13. make install

   If +syntax is on the line, you do have syntax highlighting available.
    - Does your .vimrc turn on "non-compatability"?
    - Does your .vimrc have syntax highlighting enabled?
   As a minimal .vimrc, I suggest having the following in your <.vimrc>:

    set nocp
    if version >= 600
      filetype plugin indent on
    endif