[CentOS] Re: VNCsever not starting at boot

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Dec 7 17:39:15 UTC 2007

on 12/7/2007 5:26 AM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
> Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>>

>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> When I run system-config-services, it shows vncserver set to start at
>>> boot.
>>>
>>> in /etc/inittab I have init 3
>>>
>>> vncserver does not start at boot.
>>
>> coming in late, but for next time: system-config-services shows just
>> one runlevel by default, probably 5, you have to select "runlevel all"
>> (or just runlevel 3) in the "Edit runlevel" menu
> oh.
>
> Well the box is now running head/kybd/mouseless, at init 3, and I am in
> looking at a gnome desktop.
>
> I can make notes from all the other responses, get on with work at hand
> and later go back to get a 'better' remote console tool. But one
> advantage of vnc is how fast I configured it; on an install, I can be
> hooked to a head/kybd/mouse, quickly get vnc working, move the system,
> then work on whatever else is needed (including installing a better
> remote console tool).
Vnc is fine for local net admin. You are just advised to not allow its use
over unsecured links like the internet without point-to-point encryption like
an ssh tunnel or vpn. But you really should take some time to learn
ssh/commandline tools for those times you have no other access.
Some configuration tasks can only be done that way, because the GUI tools are
only so sophisticated. They are great for a quick fix, but there will always
be something they can't do.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and