[CentOS] CentOS 5.1 on intel DQ35JO , Q35 chipsed based board

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Dec 7 18:03:48 UTC 2007

David Hláčik wrote:
> Hi,
> i was trying to install CentOS 5.1 on new machine based on Intel Q35
> desktop board, witch 2 SATA disks (configured as RAID 1) , 8GB RAM and
> Intel Core2 QUADCORE.
> The first problem was with install - it hangs before installer startup
> at ACPI messages. So i installed it with ACPI=off switch.
> The first problem is :
> Dec 7 09:54:01 vmhost1 kernel: BIOS bug, no explicit IRQ entries,
> using default mptable. (tell your hw vendor)
> Dec 7 09:54:01 vmhost1 kernel: Processors: 1
> Which kernel should i use? I have default installed kernel.

update the BIOS to the latest, make sure you do a CMOS reset to
defaults, and turn ACPI back on and try again.....

ahhh after I wrote that previous line, I googled `linux dq35jo` and
found http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_103_11855.shtm about 5 hits down.

Issue:
Why does my Intel DQ35JO or DQ35MP-based system not boot when
I try to perform the initial installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1?

Resolution:

The Intel DQ35JO and DQ35MP systems require the specific boot parameter
pci=nommconf
to boot during the initial installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1
(RHEL5.1).

The parameter is not needed after installation.

> The second problem is with LVM (probably raid on board - in bios i
> switched in sata mode to raid, and created in raid utility RAID1
> volume from those 2 disks:
>
> /dev/sdb1 [ 101.94 MB]
> Found duplicate PV hpGVb3U5Q0lxFe1LN6eJpSCJSWs0xfpu: using /dev/sdb2
> not /dev/sda2
> /dev/sdb2 [ 297.99 GB] LVM physical volume
> [root at vmhost1 archive]#
> What does it means and how can i fix this?

turn that fake raid crap off, and use linux software raid instead.
Anaconda makes combining linux raid mirroring and LVM a bit tricky at
setup time, but it -can- be done. custom disk partitioning, delete all
partitions, create a 120MB /boot on both drives, create a raid1 mirror
on the rest of the two drives, then create LVM partition(s) as / (and
/var,/home, whatever if you want several seperate file systems, your
choice) in that raid metadisk, and install to that.