[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Dec 7 19:41:53 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:

> So repotags was a small issue which failed on EPEL's
> non-cooperation. I don't see why more important issues would ever have
> a better faith, and I lost a lot of momentum in this fake
> discussion. The bottom point is that EPEL just wanted to enter the
> repo world of RHEL/CentOS and friends w/o caring about what existed
> there, and placing any compatibilty burden on others' shoulders.

I thought that, originally, EPEL was supposed to be "Fedora Extras for
RHEL"? If that's the case, compatibility would naturally be an issue,
something that they need to add on top of the simple translation from
Fedora to RHEL. I can definitely see why they would be reluctant to do that.

OTOH, yes, it would be so nice if all repos would be 100% compatible
with each other. :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/