[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Dec 7 21:31:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 02:21:20PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>> OTOH, yes, it would be so nice if all repos would be 100% compatible with
>> each other. :-)
>
> No it wouldn't because the reason you install something from a 3rd party
> repo may be precisely because its differences.

But that doesn't mean that it is incompatible. If repo X ships a
rather non-enabled version of a package foo and repo Y an enhanched
one with more options turned on or whatever, if repo X and repo Y had
a compatibility agreement them Y's foo would not wreck havoc on an X
system and vice versa.

We're thinking of shipping several "different" packages in otherwise
compatible subrepos, so there is a distinction between different and
incompatible.

Bottom line once again: It's about people working or not together even
in different repos. And I know that if there is a compatibility issue
in say KB, Dag, Dries, ... or ATrpms that I can contact the other repo
and fix a solution (heck most of us even share the same bugzilla
instance). That's certainly not the case with EPEL.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net