[CentOS] packages downgraded when going from 5.0 to 5.1

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Sat Dec 8 20:28:00 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a few packages where the latest updated version in 5.0 is greater
>> than the current 5.1 version.
>>
>> Here is the list: package, installed version (from 5.0 updates),
>> available (in 5.1)
>>
>> flac
>> 1.1.2-28.el5_0.1
>> 1.1.2-27
>>
>> flac-devel
>> 1.1.2-28.el5_0.1
>> 1.1.2-27
>>
>> hpijs
>> 1.6.7-4.1.el5.3
>> 1.6.7-4.1
>>
>> libsane-hpaio
>> 1.6.7-4.1.el5.3
>> 1.6.7-4.1
>>
>> thunderbird
>> 1.5.0.12-5.el5.centos
>> 1.5.0.12-3.el5.centos
>>

>> I use mirrors.ircam.fr, and apt+synaptic but I don't think that's the
>> reason (except perhaps for the hp stuff?)
>>
>> Is something wrong on my side? If not, should I downgrade those packages
>> to the 5.1 versions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> BTW ... it is quite normal for a release to have some packages on the
> ISO that are older than those that are released in updates.
>
> They finalize the ISO based on the beta and if pressing security updates
> happen close to release time, they do not roll those in and respin the ISOs.
>
> We are now trying to mimic as closely as possible the ISO package set,
> so that our 5.0 or 5.1 or 4.6 is the same as upstream for user
> convenience ... but there will be released packages that are newer than
> those on the ISO because of this.
>
> However, the updates directory for 5.1 should also have all the same
> files. so you should not need to downgrade anything.

fine, that all makes sense
I just thought something might be wrong because 5.1 had been out 4 or 5
days, so I didn't expect that there would still be transitory
post-release problems like this

I guess I wasn't patient enough, I'll try again in a few days (BTW these
packages are not yet on any of the mirrors I've tried tonight)