[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Dec 8 22:37:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 05:12:06PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> But it would be even better if we could live with the assumption that repos
> will have incompatibilities, whether accidental or intentional. Then it
> would become a choice of which to install and things wouldn't break when
> somewhere else updates first.  Then you could focus on making your versions
> better instead of compatible - and the politics wouldn't matter.

Sorry, that's not possible. Just to give an example: For some reason
you favour repo A and make it trump over repo B. Both repos ship
libfoo and repo B ships also appbaz needing libfoo with a couple more
configure options turned on.

No smart package manager in the world will detect this breakage. One
could strat thinking about stricter dependencies etc. but there will
always be real-world scenarios like the above spoiling your master
plan.

IMHO if the people don't cooperate the bits won't either. It is a
rather lost cause to try to engineer around this problem.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net