[CentOS] OT: Rsync question

Steven Vishoot

sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 00:21:04 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I have an off topic question about rsync and was
wondering if i can get some kind person help with it.
I have two servers with each server have three same
directories on them /dir1/ /dir2/ /dir3/ . How would i
achieve this by using rsync?
I have tried rsync -avrt --delete server_ip:/dir1/
/dir2/ /dir3/ /dir1/ /dir2/ /dir3/
this does not do anything except give errors.

Someone on IRC suggested i do a loop something like
this,
for i in "/dir1/ /dir2/ /dir3/"; do rsync -av
$i root at server:${i};done
but when i do it i do not get what i was expecting and
 also receive errors about not able to transfer files.

I am not able to post the exact errors since it has
been a while since i have attempted this and do not
wish to screw stuff up right at the moment, but in
general both say rsync cannot transfer files.

So in general is there a way i can do multiple
directories in one command or am i left with doing
them each individual as in rsync -av server:/dir1/
/dir1/
and repeat for the rest of directories. or does
someone know of a better way. my final goal is to have
a cronjob do this.

thanks

steven