[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Dec 9 19:35:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 08:15:07PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday 07 December 2007, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > I'd be happy to host the rest of this conversation in
> > centos-devel at centos.org  - which might actually have more people
> > watching who play a role in these situations ?
>
> There is one point that belongs in the user CentOS list (and not on
> centos-devel) that is relevant to this discussion.  And, Johnny, I know it
> isn't a CentOS issue; it is a CentOS user's issue, however, and this is the
> only post on this subject I plan to make.
>
> If a CentOS user wants KDE-Redhat on CentOS, then that user will be using EPEL
> (KDE-Redhat now requires it).
>
> The incompatibility between EPEL and, say, DAG, means you no longer can mix
> KDE-Redhat and DAG (which I have done on a few C4 boxes a while back).  At
> some point, due to the EPEL requirement, yum update will quit working.  If
> you happen to have used a DAG package that is incompatible at a low level
> with EPEL's package of the same program, you have work to do.

In that case you should ask the kde-redhat developers (Rex and
friends, and Rex is even on this list I think) to not create such a
dependency. It is better to have some redundancy to allow the repo to
be used with other repos than to bundle it with only one and outcast
the other combinations.

Given that *probably* the needed parts are maintained by Rex himself
in Fedora/EPEL anyway that would be not an issue anyway (noone will
blame the other of incompatible/forked/stolen work - it's the same
packager(s)).

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net