[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Dec 9 19:39:26 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 08:32:57PM +0100, Heiko Adams wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 09.12.2007, 21:27 +0200 schrieb Axel Thimm:
> > I'll just repeat myself: If the packagers don't cooperate no technical
> > solution will be able to really cover compatibilty problems. You'll
> > paper over some of them and create a false feeling that you have
> > mastered the compatibility problem and still wonder later why it
> > doesn't work. I've seen dozen of such false bug reports which I call
> > "partial/selective enabling of repos". Google the last term and you
> > find many bad examples of such "solutions".

> IMHO the best solution would be if CentOS would ship its repo-files
> preconfigured for yum-priorities plugin and the priorities plugin for
> yum by default. This would prevent that 3rd party repos to override
> CentOS base packages.

But what does that have to do with 3rd party repos A and B supporting
CentOS but being incompatible towards each other? This is not about
3rd party repos replacing a vendor package, which is a different
policy issue altogether (and which is best solved by different
offerings on the server side anyway).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net