[CentOS] Asus P5K-VM & Centos 5.1 x86_64 freezes during yum install

Vidar Normann

vidarno at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 23:13:42 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to complete a minimal install of Centos 5.1 x86_64 on a Core 2
Duo 2.2Ghz
running on an Asus P5K-VM motherboard - yes, this means it's the G33
chipset.
(you can stop laughing now)
I'm installing to two SATA-disks setup with Software Raid-1.

I've installed an Intel NIC that is detected during install and I'm able to
complete the
install itself - mind you I have to add acpi=off and/or pci=nommconf or else
the installer
freezes (keyboard dies, even for numlock on/off) right before installing
packages.
I've also changed from IDE to AHCI in BIOS as suggested in this mailing-list
- it doesn't
seem to make a difference. So far the installer completes and I can log in
after a reboot:
I perform a yum update and at a random package it will freeze - The cursor
is still blinking
but I'm unable to exit yum with CTRL+C or change to another tty.

As far as I know I should uprade to a newer kernel (currently using 2.6.18),
but since I'm
unable to install the packages needed to roll my own that's a bit difficult.
Any and all
help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Vidar Normann