[CentOS] building a Xen guest image on straight LVM partitions?

Amos Shapira

amos.shapira at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 03:50:04 UTC 2007

Hello,

When I needed to build Xen guests under Debian I could follow more or
less the instructions in http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oc48r and the
advantage of this approach is that it allows me to setup the Xen guest
directly on the LVM partition without making it consider the LVM
partition as an entire disk with a partition table.

The advantages of this approach are:
1. I can add more LVM's later, or share LVM's at the host level among
multiple Xen guests.
2. I can easily grow/shrink the Xen guest's disks.
3. I can access the Xen guest's filesystem much more easily
5. Probably less overhead in having LVM->parition->LVM.

But I didn't find a way to achieve this with CentOS 5's automatic
tools. Is this supported by CentOS as a Xen host or do I have to find
my own way?

Thanks,

--Amos