[CentOS] 5.1 Upgrade Not Working?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Dec 10 17:17:12 UTC 2007

Scott Moseman wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 10:24 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com> wrote:
>>> # cat /etc/redhat-release
>>> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>> Check the output of rpm -q centos-release.  /etc/redhat-release
>> isn't updated as in previous releases.
>>

> # rpm -q centos-release
> centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1
>
> I'm not sure how to read that version.  To me, it says I'm on 5,
> unless the 1.0 is suppose to tell me the update version.

this issue has been covered here on the list as well as on the wiki and
the issue tracker. It might be worth looking through those first.

and yes, the /etc/redhat-release file will only tell you what release
you are on. and as you yum update, that should move along to whatever is
the latest set of packages published.

if you choose to manually branch your machine off into a .z-release
line, that would be a manual choice you need to make, hopefully being
aware of the pitfalls of such a move.