[CentOS] building a Xen guest image on straight LVM partitions?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon Dec 10 22:47:37 UTC 2007

Johnny Tan wrote:

> Amos Shapira wrote:
> > When I needed to build Xen guests under Debian I could
> follow more or
> > less the instructions in http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oc48r and the
> > advantage of this approach is that it allows me to setup
> the Xen guest
> > directly on the LVM partition without making it consider the LVM
> > partition as an entire disk with a partition table.
>
> I might be missing something, but that link seems to talk
> about FAI and doesn't mention xen. I'm interested in seeing
> how it can install on the LVM partition but the OS doesn't
> see it as an entire disk with a partition table. What does
> "fdisk -l" show, then?

Here is a good link: http://wiki.rpath.com/wiki/Xen_DomU_Guide

The Xen domU or HVM will treat the partition as a whole disk, so
that means MBR and stuff, but you can mount it on dom0 as such:

# fdisk -l -u /dev/es_storage/exch_data.1

Disk /dev/es_storage/exch_data.1: 218.2 GB, 218233831424 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 26532 cylinders, total 426237952 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

/dev/es_storage/exch_data.1p1             128   426220514   213110193+   7  HPFS/NTFS

# mount -t ntfs -o loop,offset=128 /dev/es_storage/exch_data.1 /mnt

That will create an auto-loop mount of the partition at sector
offset 128.

-Ross