[CentOS] CentOS 5 sysreport

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:56:00 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 9:46 AM, Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com> wrote:
> I stumbled across this issue because I requested to install the
> sysreport package in my kickstart file.  Anaconda complains that such
> a package doesn't exist.  There is a bug report about this already
> (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2492), but it's certainly a
> strange situation.
>
>    1. Anaconda doesn't think the package sysreport exists
>
>    2. yum thinks it exists:
>          # yum list sysreport
>          Setting up repositories
>          Reading repository metadata in from local files
>          Available Packages
>          sysreport.noarch         1.4.3-13.el5      base
>
>    3. But installing with yum fails:
>          # yum install sysreport
>          Setting up Install Process
>          Setting up repositories
>          Reading repository metadata in from local files
>          Parsing package install arguments
>          Package sos - 1.7-9.1.el5.noarch already installed and
> latest version
>          Nothing to do
>
>    4. The sysreport file from the sos package fails to run:
>          # sysreport
>          Traceback (most recent call last):
>            File "/usr/sbin/sysreport", line 31, in ?
>              import sos.policyredhat
>          ImportError: No module named sos.policyredhat

Hmmm something else is 'borked' on the system. Here it is on a 5.1
updated system:

[root at nausicaa ~]# sysreport

WARNING: sysreport is deprecated, please use sosreport instead.

sosreport (version 1.7)

This utility will collect some detailed  information about the
hardware and  setup of your  Red Hat Enterprise Linux  system.
The information is collected and an archive is  packaged under
/tmp, which you can send to a support representative.
Red Hat will use this information for diagnostic purposes ONLY
and it will be considered confidential information.

I do see a bug above...