[CentOS] unstable kernel after update to CentOS 4.5

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Dec 11 17:31:56 UTC 2007

Alfred von Campe wrote on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:55:45 -0500:

> If you have a spare disk, I would give it a try.

Not so easy. This is one of the few machines I have just rented in a
datacenter. I had to ask them to image the disk and pay for the service.

When it happened tonight again this time I unmounted the device before
doing anything else. That worked and kept the machine online. There's then
indeed a corrupted directory entry that e2fsck manages to repair easily.

As this is always the same inode no. and always happening at the same time
(I suspect the updatedb run, although this should not do any changes to
that device) I rather suspect a bad block (or a bug). Once I know it's
really updatedb doing this I plan on running bad blocks and see if that
finds one.

Thanks for your telling your experience, I'll keep that in mind.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany