[CentOS] Clustering MySQL

Matt Shields mattboston at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:32:20 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 12:18 PM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
> I'm just beginning to consider using the Clustering available with
> CentOS. We are going to spec out some new hardware, and after reading
> most of the Clustering manuals, I have a small question about MySQL.
>
> I would like to run High Availability MySQL, in other words, similar to
> how you can run  HA HTTPD and the like.  The catch seems to be if I run
> MySQL on an individual server, with common MySQL replication to another
> server, how do failovers work? I see a real problem with table locking
> and the like. Is there a way to run multiple MySQL servers that get
> removed from the cluster as opposed to failing over when using the newer
> MySQL versions (I am running 3.23 now, so a little behind)?
>
> Thanks for any insights.

There are a number of ways to do it.  We currently have 1 master mysql
server, and multiple replicas. We then load balance the reads only
from the replicas and writes go to the master database (all handled in
the code).  But I saw a presentation at the Boston MySQL Meetup.com
group about how to do master-master in mysql 5.  We're about to
implement this in the next few weeks.  If it's done this way both
reads and writes to the db can be load balanced.  We use
linuxvirtualserver.org (heartbeat, ipvsadm and ldirectord) for load
balancing.

You might be able to contact the Meetup organizer, Sherri
http://mysql.meetup.com/137/, she usually posts the presentations
online.

--
-matt