[CentOS] Clustering MySQL

J. Potter jpotter-centos at codepuppy.com
Tue Dec 11 20:28:41 UTC 2007

>>  - master A is at position X
>>  - master B, replicating from A, gets to position X
>>  - master A syncs to its filesystem that it's at position X
>>
>>  - master A receives some inserts, and is now at position Y
>>  - master B, replicating from A, gets to position Y
>>  - master A crashes before the position gets synced to filesystem
>>  - master A gets rebooted, recovers from innodb log, but has itself
>> only marked at position X
>>  - master B requests position Y from master A, but that position
>> doesn't exist yet, so replication breaks.
>>
>> Perhaps someone here knows the proper recovery procedure at this
>> point?
>
> If this were master-slave, I'd probably do an LVM Snapshot and get a
> fresh copy of the master db.  The same could be done for
> master-master.

I'm not sure this would work, since some data will have been inserted
in on master B as well. I.e., with master-master, a one-way sync won't
work. The only recovery option that I can see is to destroy Master A,
and copy Master B -- either via an LVM snapshot or shutdown, sync,
startup -- to create a new Master A.  Maybe this is what you're
suggesting?

Is there a better way?

best,
Jeff