[CentOS] "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Dec 11 22:55:25 UTC 2007

Amos Shapira wrote:
> Context - I'd like to stick to 5.0 at least for a while until the dust
> around 5.1 settles down (and I'm back from holidays).

ok, so what do you mean by sticking to 5.0 ? you mean you dont want any
updates at all for those machines, even if they might be security issues ?

> As an example - In Debian, as long as I stick to "stable" I can be
> sure that the only updates I receive there are for heavily tested very
> important bugs and security issues, so I should generally apply them.

CentOS does not follow the debian release model.

> 1. If I read the FAQ correctly, in order to force yum to stay with 5.0
> should I just manually edit /etc/redhat-release from:
>
> CentOS release 5 (Final)
> to:
> CentOS release 5.0 (Final)

no, there is no such mention abut anything in the FAQ or anywhere else
that I can find. What made you believe that changing stuff in that text
file will change the repo's your machine is looking at ?

> 2. I am hoping that yum-security will allow me to stick to the latest
> security updates for 5.0 without forcing me to upgrade to 5.1 until

read the release notes about yum-security