[CentOS] "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 04:39:25 UTC 2007

On 12/12/2007, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Amos Shapira wrote:
> > Context - I'd like to stick to 5.0 at least for a while until the dust
> > around 5.1 settles down (and I'm back from holidays).
>
> ok, so what do you mean by sticking to 5.0 ? you mean you dont want any
> updates at all for those machines, even if they might be security issues ?

(I also replied to David's message)

No. I'm trying to understand where does 5.0 stand now that 5.1 is out
- should I abandon 5.0 and upgrade to 5.1 if I want to stick to
secure, stable releases or is 5.0 going to be maintained in parallel
to 5.0 for security issues?

>From your response so far I suspect that it's the former (must upgrade to 5.1).

> > As an example - In Debian, as long as I stick to "stable" I can be
> > sure that the only updates I receive there are for heavily tested very
> > important bugs and security issues, so I should generally apply them.
>
> CentOS does not follow the debian release model.

This idea is beginning to sink in :^).

I just though that RHEL/CentOS is all about providing rock-solid,
tested stable releases but there are some noises on the net that the
new release might be giving early adopters some rough time.

> > 1. If I read the FAQ correctly, in order to force yum to stay with 5.0
> > should I just manually edit /etc/redhat-release from:
> >
> > CentOS release 5 (Final)
> > to:
> > CentOS release 5.0 (Final)
>
> no, there is no such mention abut anything in the FAQ or anywhere else
> that I can find. What made you believe that changing stuff in that text
> file will change the repo's your machine is looking at ?

It doesn't explicitly say so but as David pointed out,
http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#q8 talks about the content of this
file as a way to know where the system thinks it belongs to now.

I now noticed the last sentence saying "you are in the update release
stream for the 5.1 series and you will not move to a newer release
without making changes to the yum config.". What kind of changes does
this refer to? Overriding the $releasever in the repository URL's to
hard-coded "5.0" or what?

Thanks,

--Amos