[CentOS] Problem with driver disk on amd64

Fridtjof Busse fbusse at gmx.de
Wed Dec 12 10:28:41 UTC 2007

* Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>:
> I've just installed today a server from Hetzner.de (on a AMD Athlon x2
> x86_64) using this card in blind mode and it's working with the
> supplied driver disk on the wiki ...

Funny, I'm trying to do the exact same thing (DS 3000)
I'm using "r8168-2.6.18-53.el5-i686-x86_64.img"

> How can you tell that 'installer complains no driver for the hardware
> could be found' if you don't have console access ?

I got a LARA, a Java-based remote console. But I can't switch consoles
with that thing ('Alt' is caught on my local machine).
I'm booting with (shortened):
'linux dd method=http:// nousb noipv4 ip= netmask= gateway= dns='

If I do that with the 64bit vmlinuz/initrd.img, the system asks me where
the driver disk is located, loads it and complains that there's no
driver for the necessary hardware (ethernet).
With the 32bit version, everything works fine.

> just to be sure : what's the result of lspci -v
> mine :
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

Looks exactly the same here in 2.6.18-53.el5. But unfortunatly,
"i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux"

--
Fridtjof Busse