[CentOS] ntpd

Luke Dudney listmail at lukedudney.com
Wed Dec 12 10:31:35 UTC 2007

On 12/12/2007 05:50, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> I am running a server inside of VMWare, and the clock gains ~30 seconds
> every 1000 seconds or 1.03X.
>
> I need to keep the drift under the magic 1000 limit that ntpd kills its
> self, but despite setting maxpoll really low I get:
>
> Dec 11 23:58:14 host ntpd[4909]: kernel time discipline status change 41
> Dec 11 23:59:17 host ntpd[4909]: kernel time discipline status change 1
> Dec 11 23:59:17 host ntpd[4909]: time correction of -1123 seconds exceeds
> sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.
>

> /etc/ntp.conf:
>
> server time.intranet.pdinc.us maxpoll 7
>
> Ideas? If I cannot get ntpd working, then I will have to resort to a cron *
> * * * * rdate -s time.intranet.pdinc.us

I would love to see some clear, accurate guidance from anyone regarding
time synchronisation within Linux VMs under VMware. From what I've been
able to gather, VMware recommend that you disable any in-guest external
synchronisation (ntp, windows time etc) and use vmware-tools to sync the
time. For now the approach seems to involve trying random kernel boot
options and a lot of reboots until you find something that works.

I'd be happy to have my understanding of this issue clarified!

cheers
Luke